I hope this is as bad as it gets

I started this post on June 27th. I never finished it because it hasn't gotten any better. So I'm going to post it because I think we are nearing the end and I hope to move on. (And they finished the framing and drywall, so there are fewer cracks and holes but we're in the middle of another heatwave so other than that, it's basically the same.)




I think yesterday it was the hottest it's been all year.

I do not like the heat. This is me when it's above 80 degrees:



When we bought this house, it had no insulation - ZERO - and one of the first things we did is have insulation blown in to the entire thing. When they started coming through the wall to add the flat for Mommalinda, we lost a lot of insulation from the roof and walls. We also lost the only two windows that provided any kind of air circulation on that side of the house. We knew it would get to this point, and we knew it would be bad. I think I conveniently forgot just how cranky and irritable I get when I am hot.

Monday is my day off, so, knowing that it was going to be insanely hot, I planned to take my computer to a nice cold library or Starbucks or Panera and spend most of the day writing.

At 8:30 in the morning, the doorbell rang. (And yes, I was still in my pajamas. Did I mention it was my day off?)

It was the plumbers, coming to install the new mini-split. They said they would be in and out of the house all day, and was there somewhere we could corral the cats?

Actually, no. There is nowhere to sequester the cats, because the only room with a door that we have right now is the bedroom, and they were installing a unit in there.

So I stayed home for most of the day so that I could mind the cats while they worked. The plumbers were really great about keeping the doors closed and they were very polite, but it was still noisy and hot and I felt trapped here. We hoped that, somehow, we would be able to actually use the a/c units once they were installed, but we can't. Not until the house is done.

There are also lots of little holes and gaps in the exterior walls where windows were taken out and new windows were framed. There's no insulation, drywall, or siding yet, so not only is it hot, there are a LOT of bugs making themselves at home in our house.

I'm tired. I'm hot. I'm cranky. There are weird bugs everywhere. Our existing house still needs a tone of work. I miss my sewing room. I can't  craft or watch TV. I'm cranky. I'm over it.

I hope this is as bad as it gets.

Comments